Saturday, November 1, 2008

Apple Hill

I took the boys up to Apple Hill to get a pumpkin to carve. This was probably not the best idea I've had since it was the weekend before Halloween and everyone else had the same brilliant idea of heading up the hill. It was REALLY crowded!

Here are the boys in the "pumpkin patch."



The boys were allowed to each pick out one pumpkin that they could carry and we'd get a larger, family pumpkin to actually carve. Jayden actually did what I asked (that teeny orange ball in his hand is actually the pumpkin he picked out).



Danny actually picked out a pumpkin he could carry as well. (Note to self: Danny is MUCH stronger than I originally thought).



And what would a trip to Apple Hill be like without getting a caramel apple? (Second note to self: DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT WIPES, CARAMEL APPLES ARE STICKY!!!)





So, after some make-shift wipes of napkins and water, we decided to check out what else was going on at Apple Hill. We left to visit "High Hill" which is one of our favorite spots up there. The boys watched some of the older kids fish at a man-made lake they have there. I promised them next time I'd let them get a fishing pole, but for some reason handing a 5 and a 2 year old a pole with a string with a hook on the end of it gave me a feeling of dread. I'm hoping that by next year they forget my promise.







After watching the fish for a while, the boys decided they wanted to check out the pumpkins they had at High Hill. They had a good time climbing on the hay bales.



And just to reinforce to me that he is quite capable of picking out his own, very large pumpkin, Danny had to do it again. Jayden didn't have as much luck picking up his own "large" pumpkin.

THIRD NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT PROVOKE DANNY BY SAYING HE CANNOT DO SOMETHING. HE IS JUST AS STUBBORN AS HIS MOTHER.



Let's just hope that when we go back during Christmas he doesn't insist on picking out his own tree. My ceilings are not high enough to accommodate his choices. Although, maybe I can try the "you have to be able to carry it" idea again.

2 comments:

Juliana said...

the small pumpkin is so cute. i love the pic of danny carrying the pumpkin, he is so determined. :)

Phyllis said...

I have a suggestion for the fishing....the poles we got for our girls when they were younger came with a rubber fish you tie on to the line for practice casting. We simply left those fish on and let the girls cast the fish in and out of the pond water! At 8 years old, Grace has only recently graduated to a true hook.