Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kindergarten!!!

I can't believe it. He's in kindergarten already. I feel old. Surprisingly I didn't cry. Not surprisingly, neither did he. Danny is in the afternoon session, which is not really convenient, but he's at the school I wanted him to attend. What's that saying? Beggars can't be choosers or something like that?

So, here we are, the pictures from his first day:



Danny and Jayden wait across the street from the school and patiently pose for the first of (as Danny later complained) "WAY too many pictures, mom!" When his baby starts school, he'll understand. Maybe. Or maybe not.



Jayden checks to make sure that I am still behind him. Danny could care less. Mr. Independent.




And here's the school he is attending. Kindergarten is gated in, away from the older kids. (I actually had to take this after we dropped Danny off because, as you will see in the next pictures, the crowd of people waiting to get in to the kindergarten area was, um, very large!)



And here we are among all the anxious parents and ambivalent 5 year olds. I really think that the parents were WAY more nervous than the children. Well, I was anyway.



Danny didn't know what the big deal was about. He entertained himself by making weird faces.



Then the gate opened and with a loud "moo" (okay, I didn't really moo, but felt like it would have been fitting) we were all herded into the kindergarten area.







As we waited to get into the actual classroom, Danny continued to entertain himself by making weird faces.



Antagonizing his little brother



And looking into the windows of the classroom





Finally it was time for him to go inside. He said the obligatory hello to his new teacher (but she wasn't nearly as interesting as the actual classroom apparently)



Found his cubby and put his backpack away



And made himself at home, checking out all the new, cool stuff.





His teacher told the kids to pick out a book



Sit on the rug and read until everyone had a book and was on the rug.



When all the kids were ready, the teacher read the kids a story (The Kissing Hand)



Jayden really liked the book too (but not the crowd of kids).



After story time, we were not so subtly told to leave. At this point, Danny looks up for me, sees me and says "bye mom! See you at 2:30" and promptly ran off to play.



What I want to know is who told him he could grow so fast? (And more importantly make me feel so darned old?)

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Ahhh....The Kissing Hand is a favorite in our house! Congrats at holding in the tears. You may find you'll be excited and anxious when it's Jayden's turn -- I couldn't wait to get Di on the bus!! ;)

dougnlarry said...

I love that kindergarten is kept separate. I'm sure he'll love it. Kids always handle these things so much better than we do.

Heidi said...

Awww...what a big boy!

Juliana said...

aww.. he is such a BIG boy now!