Friday, June 13, 2008

Background

The old blog I had set up is now deleted. I hadn't updated it in a very long time. Some of the memories on there are still pretty painful. I figured it was best to start new, much like I've had to do with everything else in my life lately. Not that I'm complaining, sometimes a fresh start is really the best thing. After all I've found out about my soon-to-be-ex husband after he filed for divorce, I've come to view new starts as a really positive thing. Kind of like when we were kids and things didn't go right. We used to yell "do over!" and the game would instantly be reset. So, all these changes that are happening in my life is one giant "do over." I'm resetting the game and playing by MY rules now.

For those who may not know (and I doubt that there are many of you), my former husband filed for divorce on December 14. On the 17th, I discovered that he had moved in with his new girlfriend. She just happened to be a friend of mine. Make that a FORMER friend. I found out because I went through my credit card statements. Not only did he leave me for my former friend, he left me with a significant amount of debt and a plummeting credit score. Looking at the wreckage, I was seriously contemplating that "till death do us part" clause in the marriage vows, but quickly decided that he just wasn't worth the jail time. Or the effort.

I am slowly trying to get my life back on track. I have a new house (okay it's a condo, but it's mine), great friends, and incredibly supportive family, a wonderful job and two very adorable little boys. They're the best thing that came from my marriage. I remind myself of that on a daily basis because most days I still have a lot of hatred towards my ex for everything that has happened. I'm trying to get past that.

Our divorce was supposed to be finalized today - June 15th, that would be 6 months and a day from when he first filed. (Yikes, I just realized that!) My goal at this point is to have it finished by December. The way things are going, I'm not sure that will happen, but I'm trying to remain positive. We share custody of our two boys, but can't seem to come to any kind of agreement on the financial aspect. I don't think I should have to pay for gifts he bought his girlfriend on my credit, he doesn't agree. I guess it is up to a judge since neither one of us will budge on this issue.

This blog is going to be a mish-mash of my ramblings about the divorce process and an update on the kids because I've found that people usually ask about both. I get a lot of "how are the kids?" followed by "and how are YOU?" followed by "how has Dan been treating you"

So, the kids are great, I'm hanging in there and Dan is still a jerk.

And that's it in a nutshell.

2 comments:

dougnlarry said...

I'm so glad you started a new blog. You're right that a do over is called for and I'm sure you'll find that blogging is a great outlet for everything.

(((hugs)))

Phyllis said...

Yay for do-overs!! Welcome back to the world of blogging.